Here’s a short talk I gave at the 2017 Society for Neuroscience meeting on sample size planning. The talk discusses:
- Why you should plan your sample sizes in advance
- What not to do (how some common approaches can lead you astray)
- What an effect size is and why it’s important to have a sense of effect sizes
- How to plan a sample for power
- Even better, how to plan a sample for precision
- Resources to get you started (with the talk, script, and resources posted here: https://osf.io/5awp4/)
All in 25 minutes. Whew. SFN taped the talk and made a fancy video. Unfortunately, they made the video available only to members. This is the copy I liberated from the SFN website. Viva la revolucion.